Ha Ha Tonka
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Ha Ha Tonka

Foot Stompin' Indie Rock

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

HearYa.com review of Buckle in the Bible Belt

Go down 
AuthorMessage
B
Amsterfan
B

Number of posts : 58
Registration date : 2006-10-18

HearYa.com review of Buckle in the Bible Belt Empty
PostSubject: HearYa.com review of Buckle in the Bible Belt   HearYa.com review of Buckle in the Bible Belt Icon_minitimeMon Sep 17, 2007 11:51 am

Click on the link to read HearYa.com's review of Buckle in the Bible Belt on their website -

http://www.hearya.com/2007/09/06/ha-ha-tonka-buckle-in-the-bible-belt/

Ha Ha Tonka - Buckle in The Bible Belt

Published by Woody September 6th, 2007.

The Missouri four-piece, Ha Ha Tonka, who's name derives from a state park in Missouri, are getting set to release their debut on Bloodshot this month. Buckle In The Bible Belt was initially released under their previous name of Amsterband. Personally, I dig the Ha Ha Tonka moniker more. Fits the band much better.

Enough about the name. It's the music that matters and it's the music that delivers. Ha Ha Tonka combines the alt-country feel that Bloodshot is renowned for along with gospel-tinged, four-piece harmonies that help separate them from the rest of the pack. The album, which was recorded in an old church in Union, Missouri, fires out of the gate with "Up Nights" a song tackling methamphetamine abuse. What you'd expect to be a bleak song, the band attacks the subject with rollicking piano/keys that keeps the tune driving along and lead singer Brian Roberts' voice fits like a glove.

Next up is the lead track "Saint Nick On The Fourth In A Fervor" which is the top track on the disc for me. "It's an attempt to point out the fallacy of wrapping yourself in the flag, religion or, worse yet, both at the same time," Roberts says of the single. The track opens with some of the aforementioned harmonies and dips and peaks for four minutes taking you on a nice ride. Roberts shows incredible range on this tune.

Later the Missouri boys really wow me with a cover of traditional folk tune, "Hangman." The four-piece harmony a capello blows my mind giving me a flashback to Jerry & The Boys covering "And We Bid You Goodnight" which always had me leaving shows with a smile on my face.

The rest of the album is equally as impressive, with highlights that include "Caney Mountain" and "Bully In The Pulpit." Overall this is a great debut by a band that seamlessly blends genres to produce a very unique sound.
Back to top Go down

HearYa.com review of Buckle in the Bible Belt
Page 1 of 1